Tuesday, June 05, 2007

VBS Week/Camp Week- Retirement?

Sorry I have been so long posting, but it is crunch time for VBS and Camp. This week is our VBS at Sylvan Springs. We had a good start of 125 Sunday night and 105 on Monday. Do you start your VBS on Monday night? Sunday works better for us. It is usually one of the largest nights in attendance. We are studying neighbors and a highlight has been Ned the Neighbor visiting each night. He is quite an interesting neighbor with his unusual looks and Bible insights. I am enjoying teaching the teens this time. They are a great group and very good to participate in class. In a few years I am going to retire from pulpit preaching and become a youth minister where I can really have some fun.
June 17 starts my camp week at Indian Creek Youth camp so today I am printing schedules, letters to parents, certificates. A lot of work goes into a camp week. This year I have tried to spread some of it out a bit and have some great guys helping me. Daniel C called and is working on our sports schdule. Paul K has worked hard to get our class material, teachers and speakers arranged. Clay C is in charge of night activities. I talked to Becky P. yesterday and she is working on crafts. Susan C. went to a cooks meeting a couple of weeks ago. I know the food will be too good, as we have come to expect. This is just some the things that have to be done. Why do we do it year after year for no pay and some degree of aggravation? Because we love the Lord, the kids, and the camp. My target date for retiring as a camp director is 2025. Lord willing, that is the year I will turn 70 and I hope to be just a camper that year. But I could change my mind!

3 comments:

  1. We're excited about camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:26 PM

    directions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:15 AM

    retirement? i didn't think you could retire from camp.
    charles shepherd

    ReplyDelete