Thursday, August 14, 2008

Chaos Reinstated

For real, last week one day I thought of changing the title of this blog. I will keep it for now. Yesterday began as a very calm day . People often ask, "What do you do?"(OK, I know some of you really do think I only work a few hours a week) and yesterday would have been my standard answer to that- visiting a couple of our church members in the morning, talking on the phone a few times about such things as our gospel meeting in the fall with Kerry Richardson, with a bookstore about a questionable charge, with camp folks about the golf tournament on Saturday. Then a trip to the bank and the cleaners. An afternoon of study for my last "Summer Wednesday Series" at Roebuck the last Wed. of the month, writing on a Sunday sermon, prep for my Wed. Bible class, a couple of other phone calls- Then about 4:30 to add to the "usualness" of my day, at trip to the restroom after a 20 oz. diet Grapico(delicious). When walking back to my office I felt something wet on my leg. Thinking I had either spilled a bit of water when washing my hands, or perhaps another kind of accident that I did not realize(yuck), I walked back to the desk. I kept feeling the wetness and in a little bit I felt something wet in my shoe.
Rather nonchalantly I looked down to see that there was blood all over my pants and a huge pool about 2 feet in diameter in the floor. It is a wonder I did not faint and possibly bleed to death. I reached down and pulled down my sock a bit to reveal blood spurting out of my left leg just below my calf.(Turned out this was a varicose vein that I had the Dr. check a while back because it was itching and protruding.) Why did it rupture? Probably from simply being "rubbed the wrong way." The doctor said I was a "big column of pressure" when I stood up- Well put, Doc.)
I put pressure on it with one hand and called the paramedics with the other. While calling on the office phone Kim called on my cell and I told her I couldn't talk because I was on the phone with 911. She heard me tell them there was blood everywhere and had no idea what had happened(So sorry for that heartcheck, Kim). After getting off the phone I realized that the doors were locked and I couldn't figure out how to get to the door and keep pressure on my leg, too. I called Susan and thankfully, she was already home. Kim had already called her and she was on her way to the building. I called the paramedics back to tell them not to break in, that Susan was on the way with a key. Susan is the one you want with you in a crisis, and usually does not panic. I know from past experience that she doesn't drive fast in an ER run, but she got there fast this time, and Kim got there about the same time. The paramedics couldn't find the building even though they are right next door. The dispatcher did not tell them it was a church and only gave them a house number- which I did not realize we didn't have on the building(any deacons out there?)
The paramedics came in and quickly wrapped up my leg with a bandage(which was tight, but quickly soaked) and told me there was an ambulance on the way. I didn't think I needed one(Why do men always think they can handle things themselves?) Susan gave me that look and I quickly gave in to it. By that time Cheryl Chaney(a neighbor) and then Tim Garrison had seen the firetruck and come in to see if they could help and Doris Poole called. (No telling how many people knew about this before I got to the hospital). Josh got there before I did and Daniel and Mandi got there from Glencoe before long. (I asked Susan why they came and she replied, "Because you were in a huge pool of blood and we didn't know what was going on!" Duh- why didn't I think of that?) I think there was quite a bit of interest at church last night, which I missed. Kent Garrison got there early and had to try to clean up some of the mess. He called and told me he thought that the carpet might have to be replaced in the office.
In all of this the person in the most danger was likely the paramedic who had to lift the stretcher to get me into the ambulance. I think his face was as red as my leg. I doubt he would have made it if I had not lost that 63 pounds.
The paramedics from Sylvan Springs, ambulance co. paramedics, and all of the ER staff at UAB West were great, friendly and professional. Thanks to all of you who have expressed concern. I expecially appreciated the text message I got from Mark Wylie suggesting I go by the auto parts store and get a can of "Bar's Stop Leak".

Well, the Dr. sewed up my leg and told me not to get my leg wet and that I could play golf in the camp tournament on Saturday. We went by Sonic for a breakfast toaster on the way home. Today, it is back to calm again- for a long time I hope. Whew!

7 comments:

  1. That was definitely the most scared I've been in a long time!! I'm glad you're okay!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I hate that happened to you but am glad you are better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Glad you're okay; we were praying for you! Charles & Genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are ok. Isn't it true.. we just never know do we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:25 PM

    Man David, come on now, we can't this going on. Glad to hear you are doing better..

    Ande Z - LMCOC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a thought--- was this a ploy to get blog comments??? hmmm Inspector Gadget will investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ewww.....sorry about that but I am glad you are patched up and feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete