Friday, November 21, 2008

Thank You for Being My Friend

This morning, I read the paper as usual, and went to the financial page to see how my IRA was doing. Of course it took another big fall this week, not that I had much in there anyway. Instead of feeling blue, for some reason, I was overwhelmed with a warm feeling of how blessed I am. Only a short time afterwards, Kim called to tell me of the good news that Paul had passed his National Board Teacher Certification, and we are thrilled about that. Paul is such a good son in law. You know, most every day brings some good news, and some bad.
But every day is a time to give thanks. Nothing can compare with the debt of gratitude that we owe to God our maker, for his abundant blessings. That old song, “There shall be showers of blessing”(Ezek 34:26), should be sung on rainy days and sunny days, both of which are given by God. But with the approach of this Thanksgiving Day, I want to say thanks to him for all of the wonderful friends (kinfolks included) that have helped sustain me.
During this past year I lost one of my closest friends, Bob Norris, to an early death. His warm voice so often buoyed me when we talked. He was one of those kind of friends that you were always comfortable with, that some people only find once in a lifetime, but I have been so blessed to have many. I can’t tell him how much I appreciate him, but I can tell you how glad I am that you are my dear friend.
In 2008, one of my dearest friends moved away. Instead of talking to him several times a week and working with him closely at church, we talk less frequently and see each other far less. I miss him, but I am glad that we are still friends though separated by a few miles. If I am separated from you, my friend, by distance near or far, I want you to know that you are still my good friend and I appreciate you.
During this past year, my Mom and Dad were both hospitalized at the same time, seriously ill. I thought we were going to lose both of them. They are doing much better at present and I am so thankful for that. No, Dad still doesn’t know me, but I know him, and his smile when I go to visit is priceless. One of the nurses told me some time ago, “If she could pick a disease to have in old age, it would be Alzheimer’s. It is hard on the family, but you don’t know you have it.” Well, I hate it for him and the family, but I am thankful especially for all of the good friends who have been so helpful in this hard time.
There have been so many medical people, and others who have gone out of their way to be helpful. The folks at Cherry Hill Healthcare have been topnotch in showing compassion and concern. Our church family has been very supportive. Many friends have continued to send cards and express concern. Our family has rallied to help, as they could. For all of these friends, I give thanks.
On October 9, my sister in law, Mary, finally got her new liver. She is making slow, but sure progress getting back to “normal.” Was Mary ever “normal”? Her zest for life, good humor, and knack for getting into “predicaments,” have prompted some to call her “Lucy”. We surely would not want to be without her. We are so thankful for God’s blessing, but also for so many who prayed, and continue to offer help in so many ways. We have many friends who are not of the “fair weather” kind, and for that we are so thankful.
Day before yesterday, Jasmine, my niece, had a car wreck. I felt so sorry for her because she had just paid off her car the day before, and only had liability insurance. Did I mention that she was hit by an 18 wheeler? Wow, and she did not have a single scratch, though her car was demolished. The truck ran a red light and the police wrote it up that way, so, hopefully they will get her another car, but we couldn’t find another Jasmine. I am thankful today that we still have her, and our other family and friends.
I could go on and on, but I simply wanted to say, “Thanks” to so many of you, who mean so much to me. I love you. David

1 comment: