Thursday, December 11, 2008

Would You Sell Your Soul For A Fruitcake?

(Here is some "food" for thought, and a sermon idea or bulletin article for you preachers out there.)
Many folks would quickly tell you either, "I love fruitcake," or "I hate fruitcake." I can fall into either category depending on what kind of fruitcake it is. I have had some that I hated. I really liked the Benson Old Home Fruitcake that came in my Aunt Marie's package from Virginia each year. But my love for fruitcake started many years ago with a dear Parrish preacher's wife, Betty Bramlett. She gave Mom and Dad one that she made and it had no filler cake- practically all of it was candied cherries and pecans. Whatever else was in there was delicious. In recent years I have made some that I really liked. This year I found that Costco has a fantastic fruitcake that is better and much cheaper than I can make one. Enough about that, what would you do for a good fruitcake?
Hosea 3:1 shows how the Israelites left God and served idols. Part of the reason was they loved the "raisin cakes of the pagans." That reminds me of Esau who sold his birthright for a bowl of stew(Gen. 25:29-34).
I would hope that none of us would forsake the true God for a fruitcake, but some forsake him for worthless things:

Some forsake God for earthly riches that will persish(Matt 19:21-24; 1 Tim.6:17-19)
Some forsake God for alcohol(1 Cor 6:9-11; Prov 20:1)
Some forsake God for sexual pleasure(Heb 12:14-17; 1 Cor 6:18-20).

Nothing is more important than our relationship with God that will lead to eternal life. Would you sell it for a fruitcake? Some do it for less! David Courington

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:14 PM

    Wow! I WOULD NOT see my soul for a fruitcake...then again I HATE fruitcake. Just kidding, I would never do that and I really appreciate your post

    ReplyDelete