Thursday, October 22, 2009

Take Heart

Sometimes life seems overwhelming, to the point that we want to just give up and quit. Physical or emotional pain can discourage one to the point that they seem to have no hope. Grief can take such a hold of us, we may think it will never let go. Temptations we face can dishearten us, until it seems that we will never become what God wants us to be. Instead of being “more than conquerors”(Rom. 8:37), we may be “more than defeated.” Fears can alarm us to the point that we are afraid to make another step, let alone face tomorrow or a lifetime of tomorrows. Financial setbacks can be debilitating to the point that we cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. If one will read Ecclesiastes and see the wise man Solomon’s summaries of life “under the sun,” he will find that Solomon described life as “vain”(empty). His many treasures did not make him happy, his love life was a disaster, and his power left him without satisfaction. Life can indeed bring a man down to nothing.
Today’s bad news seems to have brought many today to a point of hopelessness. But there is hope. David had many discouraging days on this earth. His mentor, Saul tried to kill him, his son forsook him, his life was often more miserable that fun. His words in Psalms 6:2-7 are sad, “Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am weak; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are troubled. 3 My soul also is greatly troubled; But You, O LORD--how long? 4 Return, O LORD, deliver me! Oh, save me for Your mercies' sake! 5 For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks? 6 I am weary with my groaning; All night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears. 7 My eye wastes away because of grief; It grows old because of all my enemies.”
But it was likely David who wrote these very different words in Psalms 118:6-8, “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? 7 The LORD is for me among those who help me; Therefore I shall see my desire on those who hate me. 8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.” Here, dear friend, are the words that change everything. They may not change our health, but they give us strength to endure the day. They may not change the circumstances of many trials, but they change the outlook and the outcome of all of them. Just these 6 words can change your life- “The Lord is on my side.”
The apostle Paul had a “thorn in the flesh.” He was shipwrecked, stoned and imprisoned. He said, “We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed”(2 Cor 4:8-9)
As Paul wrote to the Romans, he said, “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written: "For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter." 37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:31-39). Yes, if we are in Christ, and he is in us, there is nothing than can separate us from Him and his love. Truly, “The Lord is on my side.” Is he on yours? If so, take heart. If not, come to Him and he will be with you always. David Courington

No comments:

Post a Comment