Thursday, December 14, 2006

How Old?

Since my late 20's I have enjoyed the benefits of having gray hair. Now I wish I had more gray hair. At first, I think I got a little extra respect from people who thought I was older than I was. In my 30's I started getting senior citizen discounts on occasion, especially when the cashier was real young. Now I can get some of them legitimately at age 51(next week 52).It is nice not to have to pay when ordering checks at the bank.
I guess I look older than my age now, considering that 2 people last week thought I was my Dad's(age 82) brother. Since the first one was an alzheimer's patient, I dismissed it, but the second was a nurse in the unit where Dad is in the nursing home. I might as well laugh about it as to cry though I am not really sure that a good sense of humor is helping me as much as I thought it might.
Anyway, at least I am not as old as Noah's grandpa, Methuselah. According to Gen 5 he lived to be 969 years old. One might think that he must have acquired a lot of wisdom in all of those years. But did you know that he died in the year of the great flood? We don't know for sure that he didn't die a month before it came, but we do know that one might live for decades, even centuries in this life and then be lost eternally. Then what will life have been worth?
I don't think that how old we are really matters that much. And however long we may live is short compared to eternity. I hope that you will join me in trying to live in a way that is pleasing to the only one that really matters- the almighty God.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! By the way, you don't look old to me. You look just right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't look old to me either! I wonder if that nurse at the nursing home is the same one that thought I was PaPa's daughter? Was it the one that had purple hair for a while? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't old, you are just "youth challenged." Just teasing.

    Just to make you feel better, some of my past students thought I was in my 80's.

    ReplyDelete