Monday, October 20, 2008

The Old Book Case

The Old Book Case

In that old case, there were many books,
Varied size and color gave them many looks,
A story was told by every one,
How old books make our memories run,

The books of wonder on that old shelf,
Tell of Grandma and her studious self.
She loved history books and dictionaries,
She wasn’t into ghosts and fairies.

Grandpa had no books up there,
He worked with his hands, no books to share,
But there was one book that had his name,
The Holy Bible, where he placed his claim.

The book of Bible stories from which my Mother taught,
Brought uncontrolled tears, that I had not sought,
But reminded me of how as a little child,
I was molded by her love that taught me, so mild.

There were other shelves that had books a plenty,
These belonged to Dad, there were so many,
They were not about golf, and hunting, and such,
But the Lord and his church he loved so much.

That old book case now belongs to another,
It wasn’t kept by me or my brother,
But the memories live in our heart and soul,
That old book case, helped to make us whole.
David Courington
10/20/08

2 comments:

  1. Good memories.. most importantly, God's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just read this- I am behind. How truly beautiful. Yes, those books spoke volumes concerning the owners of that little house.

    ReplyDelete