Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Old Home Place

Yesterday was a bittersweet day for me in that we closed the sale on Mom and Dad's house in Parrish. It was hard in a way to see their "American Dream" go to someone else. But it was mostly sweet because I have been unbelievably tied up the last 3 weeks trying to get it closed out. It is a joy to be done with the chore. I have found out that dealing with FHA is even worse than dealing with Medicaid and VA.
Since Mom and Dad are both still living, it hasn't seemed at all like "home" up there since they left. This afternoon, I went by to see Mom and Dad at Cherry Hill Healthcare. There they sat, eating ice cream and seeming quite content. Mom was really excited that I had Levi with me. She walked down with he and I to the aviary to see the birds. We all enjoyed the short visit and I am so thankful that she and Dad are doing as well as they are for now.
I have often heard the saying, "Home is where you hang your hat." If that is true, then Cherry Hill fits the bill because you seldom go in and see Dad these days without one of his checkered hats. I also have heard often, "Home is where you hang your heart." My heart is with my dear Mom and Dad, so much more than in a house of sticks and bricks that will not last. We would all do well to put more emphasis on the "heart" than the "house."

No comments:

Post a Comment