Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Crazy Bird

Sorry I have no bear tales to tell but it was great to be in mountains on vacation for a week. I think this it first time we have ever stayed for a full 7 days. Ate way too much good food and had lots of fun. We did see lots of deer(2 big bucks) and a few turkey in Cades Cove. We also had a very pretty red bird that pecked on our window each morning(I think to try to eat a couple of dead wasp that were on the window sill.) That crazy bird would almost knock itself silly, time and again, hitting the window. The amazing thing it is that it kept coming back, again and again, though the results were the same.
Have you ever thought about how much like that bird we are. We often fail to learn from our mistakes. I was talking to a lady recently who had been abused by her husband and put out of her house. She was disabled and told me that the reason was that her first husband had shot her 5 times. Apparently, she married the same kind of guy the second time around. I believe that this is one of the reasons that God made the criteria for remarriage so strict(See Matt. 19:1-9). Often the same mistakes are made over and again, with tragedy multiplied, not only in the lives of the parties involved, but especially their children.
The Bible speaks of the woes of drinking intoxicating beverages in Proverbs 23:29-35. In that last verse it paints a true picture of those who are slaves to alcohol saying, "When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink?” No matter how badly one is hurt, he goes after the same old elixir.
It is good that we can repent and find God's forgiveness more than one time. His love is so generous to take us back again and again. But we must be both patient and persistent in ridding our lives of the sins of the past.
By humbly seeking God and sincerely going to His word, we can grow and avoid making the same mistakes over and over again. David said, "Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee." (Psa. 119:11)
Remember the red bird.

2 comments:

  1. Okay..the bird story is getting old. Why not update with something new...like why my wife is so wonderful (just kidding, believe me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to think about that one for a while!

    (Just Kidding too, believe me!)

    ReplyDelete