Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Leslie and Sally on the Lose



Chasing animals can be great exercise, and I have been getting more than I bargained for lately. Yesterday, I finally got 2 goats. We affectionately named them Leslie(the white one), after our niece, and Sally(the tan one), after a dear friend. I paid $35 each for them from Mr. Varner in Mulga. He has quite a few goats, maybe 20. I have wanted some goats for a long time to help clean off some of my 9 acres of overgrown weeds and brush. For several weeks I have been reading and working to get an electric fence finished to put them in and built a small shed to shield them from the weather(they don't like rain). Well, one of my bargains wasn't so much of a bargain after all. I bought a new(in the sealed package) fence charger from Odd Lots Hardware(a great place to shop in Hueytown). It was supposed to charge a fence for 20 acres. Well, I had no more got the goats in the fence than they got out. They touched the fence and didn't seem to mind so I knew something was wrong. My tester showed it was charging. Well, it wasn't charging much and soon died completely. James Copeland, my neighbor, brother and friend, came out and helped me herd them back to the house and he checked the fence and it wasn't charging at all. He had an spare charger. We hooked it up and they were still in there this morning, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think the one who got the most out of all of this is Susan. She got a dose of medicine laughing at me. She would have really enjoyed it if she hadn't been sick. Hope you are feeling better, honey. I'm sure I'll be posting more about this adventure later.

3 comments:

  1. they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I helped chase those goats, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:03 PM

    That is hilarious! Hope they stay in the fence and you don't have to run around after them!

    ReplyDelete