Friday, September 22, 2006

Are You Listening?

From Calm To Chaos
Perhaps you heard the late Bro. V. E. Howard preach, either in person or on the radio. He had a very popular radio program that became known by his constant reminder as he spoke, "Are you listening?" This is a question that we need to ask more of ourselves. I once attended a class on counseling called "Human Relations." It concentrated on the idea of carefully listening to the one that you are counseling, and making sure that you heard what he "really" said. I guess I already knew it to some extent, but that class taught me that it was not easy to be a good listener. I have heard a lot of people say such things as, "My Mom(or child) just won't listen to me," or "My husband never hears a thing I say. He has 'selective' hearing," but I have never heard someone admit that they are a poor listener. Do you wonder why?
In fact, it may be quite an insult not to listen to what another is saying to you. The other day I wrote to my congressman about a matter of concern to me. I strongly disagreed with a bill that he had sponsored. I got back a very cordial letter thanking me for writing and saying that the congressman agreed with me, that is why he sponsored the bill. Obviously, neither he nor his staff read my letter. The letter added insult to injury. Why? Because he tried to give the appearance of concern, but he did not take the time to listen to my concerns. It would do us all well in our families, in the church, and in other relationships to give our listening skills a check-up. One cannot obey the "Golden Rule" (Matt. 7:12) if he does not listen to others closely enough to acknowledge their concerns.
Another passage of scripture that we should consider here is James 1:19, "So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." The "swift to hear" part goes along with the "slow to speak." Often we are too busy talking to listen. Another thought here is that hearing has something to do with our anger. How many times have you been angry about some matter that was just a misunderstanding? Listening more carefully can help to resolve many difficulties.
On a personal note, many people have physical hearing problems. I am one of those who has a hearing loss in one ear. It usually doesn't show up until I am in a noisy place(like a church lobby). The doctor tested my hearing and said a hearing aid would do no good. Sometimes those who cannot hear well fail to inform others of the problem, but there are those who do not speak loudly enough to be heard.
Yes, it is a problem when we fail to hear each other, especially if we won't listen to those who are close to us. Consider Proverbs 1:8, "My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother." Of course parents need to hear their children, as well, that they might know how to teach and correct them.
But it is an even worse problem when we fail to hear God. Since faith
comes by hearing(Rom. 10:17), one may be lost because of a failure to listen. Jesus often
said in Revelation 2 and 3 to the seven churches of Asia, "He who has an ear, let him hear."
Are you listening to the word of God, or have you neglected to hear it?
A serious pronouncement is made about that in Proverbs 1:24-26, "Because I have
called and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no has heeded, 25 Because
you have ignored all my counsel, And would have none of my reproof, 26 I also will laugh at
your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you.(ESV)" We had better listen to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment