Friday, September 01, 2006

"John Done Burned Down The Liquor Store"

I woke up the other day with this song on my mind from the CD, "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?". I could not get that phrase and tune out of my mind. I have no idea why I thought of it, because I haven't even listened to that CD in a while. Maybe it was because I talked to John Brown for a while the night before. He is a good friend and brother who likes to sing some crazy old songs, but he is not the John that burned down the liquor store.
Well there are lots of other things like cares and burdens, hurts, past sins, evil thoughts... that we have a hard time getting out of our mind. One way to do that is to put someting good in your mind instead of the bad. Paul said, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Phillippians 4:8) I am writing a sermon on this and might post some other thoughts later.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog. I hope you keep it up! Also, the article about Hoover was great. Ben and I watched it the other night and I couldn't believe the way those kids were acting on National Television and the coach as well. That is awful.

    ReplyDelete